For the ice cream
- In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla using an electric mixer, until the mixture is smooth. Microwave 30 seconds at a time, whisking each time, until thickened. It may take 2-3 minutes. Let cool.
- In a bowl, dissolve Caf-Lib for ice cream in 30 ml (2 tbsp.) Of cold water.
- In another bowl, whip the cream with the electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Add the egg yolk mixture and the Caf-Lib mixture to the bowl. Whisk until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Oil a 20cm (8 in) diameter bowl, then pour in the preparation. Level the surface. Freeze for 8 hours or overnight.
For the cake
- Preheat the oven to 160 ° C (320 ° F).
- In a bowl, combine the flour with the cocoa, Caf-Lib, sugar, baking soda and salt.
- Add the butter and whip with an electric mixer until you get a grainy mixture. Add the eggs and milk. Whisk until a smooth mixture is obtained.
- Oil a 20cm (8-inch) round pan, then line with parchment paper. Pour the batter into the mould and level the surface. Bake 35 to 40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake, comes out clean. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Unmold the cake and place it on a serving plate.
- Using a bread knife, remove a thin layer from the top of the cake to even out.
- Run the bottom of the bowl containing the ice cream under hot water to make it easier to remove from the mould, then invert it on the cake. Place in the freezer.
For the meringue
- In a saucepan, place the sugar and 60ml (¼ cup) of water. Bring to a boil, then cook over low-medium heat until the temperature of the syrup reaches 116 ° C (240 ° F) on a candy thermometer.
- Meanwhile, beat the egg whites in a bowl using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually pour the syrup into the bowl and whisk for 6 to 8 minutes, until the mixture has cooled and thickened. Add the vanilla and whisk again.
- Take the bomb out of the freezer. Cover with meringue using a spatula.
- Using a pastry torch, brown the meringue. Serve immediately.